New Delhi: Green tea is always hailed as a superfood when it comes to weight loss. And we’ve always believed it too. We’re not saying that green tea on a whole is something harmful to our body. But saying that it doesn’t have any side effects at all, wouldn’t be intelligent. It remains the healthiest beverage on the planet. But there’s another point that you might have missed. Everything has a good and a bad side. Let’s have a look at the dark side of the ‘healthiest beverage on the planet’ green tea.
- Green tea affects your body’s ability to absorb iron. This is a problem as it might make your body deficient in iron, giving rise to more serious problems.
- Green tea interacts with certain medications. The repercussions are really drastic and painful.
- Drinking green tea in excess can result in caffeine overload. This can trigger insomnia, upset stomach, cause restlessness, etc.
- Some people are allergic to caffeine. Though the amount of caffeine in green tea is lower than other beverages but it can still cause problems. Caffeine increases the amount of acid involved in digestion process and cause pain or nausea.
- Again due to caffeine, green tea can trigger mild or severe headache. It can also be caused because of iron deficiency. It also causes dizziness.
- Caffeine in the green tea can stimulate the heart as well. It causes your heart rate to increase and cause irregularly fast heartbeat.
- If you’re new to green tea, you can also suffer loose stools and diarrhoea. This might subside once you get used to the beverage. It can also be triggered by excessive consumption of green tea.
- Excessive consumption of green tea can also be linked to muscle spasms and twitching. It is also linked to restless leg syndrome.
Then how to drink green tea without the side effects? Now when we know that the caffeine is culprit, choose a brand that has low caffeine content.